Validating Windows XP Pro

karmavoyager 13:58 27 Oct 2007

Invalid Windows XP

Hi!
I have just bought a new desk top which seemingly has an invlaid version of Windows XP Pro! Now, I do have a Dell Laptop, now 4 year old which crashed, hence the purchase of a desk top. This laptop came with an OEM version of Windows XP Pro which also says on the code panel "1-2 CPU!" Does this mean I could use this CD to validate my current Windows. If so how do I do that?

Pamy 14:35 27 Oct 2007

I would go back to who you bought the NEW DESKTOP from

wee eddie 14:53 27 Oct 2007

There should be a Sticker on the Case.

Telephone the number given and follow the instructions, this is more likely to be a glitch in the Verification Software unless you bought from a very dodgy dealer.

DieSse 15:32 27 Oct 2007

"1-2 CPU!" Does this mean I could use this CD to validate my current Windows.

No - it applies to dual processor single systems - such as dual-core processors. The rule is strictly one system, one copy of Windows.

As Pamy says - follow this up with the vendor of your new desktop. Either it really is an invalid copy - in which case COMPLAIN LOUDLY. Or it's a validation error - in which case find the Product Key sticker which MUST be attached to your case by the PC vendor.

karmavoyager 17:35 27 Oct 2007

Hi!
Thanks for the advice I have had one go at doing so, but may need to involve the authorities here. My problem was that being English and living in Germany I wanted an English version of the OP system. I went to a Chinese (!) dealer who said he could do it for me and only when I collected it did I discover my problem. If I accepted a German version does anyone know if I can then change the language back to English. I live on a small pension and cannot afford MS prices.

lotvic 17:49 27 Oct 2007

'Dell Laptop crashed' was that a software problem or is the hardware broken?

I don't know about the German version and language change - will have to Google it for information.

brundle 18:31 27 Oct 2007

Unfortunately you can't change the language in XP without the MUI; click here

DieSse 18:48 27 Oct 2007

"If I accepted a German version does anyone know if I can then change the language back to English."

Sorry but no you can't. The extra stuff so that you can is expensive and not worth doing.

As an alternative to Windows - you could try FREE Ubuntu Linux, or one of the several others (Suse v10.3 is very polished)

Advantages of Linux is that you get other software free too - a complete Office suite (Open Office) - Firefox Web browser - and masses and masses more. In fact you'll never have to buy software again! - LEGALLY!

Pamy 10:16 28 Oct 2007

" I live on a small pension and cannot afford MS prices" sounds as though you new this was an illegal operating system anyway

karmavoyager 10:34 28 Oct 2007

Thanks for your responces. I shall have to speak to the authorities here, for until I got the system home I was unaware of me having a problem with the operating system. I was really looking for another way out of the problem.

crosstrainer 11:03 28 Oct 2007

That China is notorious for pirated software, the authorities are trying hard to stamp this out, but are fighting an uphill battle. I think you only have two options...DieSse idea of Ubuntu or Linux, or buy a legal copy of WIndows.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?