Vaio Recovery utility

niceguy_uk 10:08 14 Jul 2007

Hi, I have created a recovery disc for my laptop but it does not go back to factory settings. Its a Vaio laptop with XP OS. The error message is ' cannot recover as model not recognised'. Infact when i log on to vaio update , it does recognise my serial number and model.

how can i recover my laptop to factory settings? Please help.
Thank you

skidzy 10:12 14 Jul 2007

Possibly a hidden partition containing the os and preinstalled software.

Try tapping either F11 or F10 on startup.

What model Vaio ?

Check this first and post back.

Right click My Computer/Manage/Disc Management...does it list a recovery partition ?

HCOOH 10:16 14 Jul 2007

There should be a recovery option in the programs list on your desktop. How did you make the recovery disc as its part of the same utility, you prepare the discs from the recovery partition, you can then delete the recovery partition if you are short of space although it is nice to keep the option in case the discs malfunction.

HCOOH 10:21 14 Jul 2007

Called VAIO recovery tool and you will need the AC adapter plugged in or it won't let you do it.

niceguy_uk 10:21 14 Jul 2007

Model number VGN FS415B and yes it has a recovery partiton
thanks

niceguy_uk 10:23 14 Jul 2007

tried with recovery tool but it says model not recognised

thanks

skidzy 10:24 14 Jul 2007
  sunny staines 10:26 14 Jul 2007

I would use the disk recovery option from the hidden partition first, if that fails you use back up dvd's as last resort.
on our viao used the restore settings program from hidden partition and it went staight back to factory settings to day 1 when we got the laptop[including all the crap trial ware]

always found our local sony centre very helpful, if you have one in your high st take it in and call the premium rate support from the shop.

skidzy 10:27 14 Jul 2007

Sorry wrong model in link.But you can still follow the steps.

niceguy_uk 10:28 14 Jul 2007

unfortunatley the link is not opening

skidzy 10:29 14 Jul 2007

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires