Vaio laptop - motherboard diagnosed N.B.G.

Diemmess 17:49 01 Aug 2008

Given by my son to his 18yr old daughter as a special present, had to go back to Sony with a DVD fault - promptly corrected.
Now a year out of warranty what was thought was a charging fault has proved to be motherboard fault.

The battery can be charged elsewhere, but not via the laptop which will not accept a direct feed from the charger either.

Bought originally at PCW, his local shop has examined and agreed these faults but points out that Sony doesn't market replacement mobos.

Seems that a repair would probably cost £350+ almost certainly not worth the risk.

Anyone have any suggestions about D.I.Y. with little to lose? Can post the model number if it helps.

ened 18:00 01 Aug 2008

Have you thought about contacting Sony directly?

You never know they might offer some solution.

chub_tor 18:00 01 Aug 2008

So what exactly is the fault? If you charge the battery externally and put it into the laptop does the machine run at all?

Diemmess 18:26 01 Aug 2008

Briefly:
Haven't tried Sony direct, will try but no great hopes.
Charge direct - No it is difficult to reach the correct conductors in their narrow slots on the battery. As ever the design discourages meddling.

The recent endpoint was reached when the lappy switched itself off (Presumably low battery).
It did this once or twice as the battery must have recovered a spot of power internally.

It's certainly worth trying to connect to those battery terminals. Does anyone know what voltage should be available at (from memory) four narrow slots in the battery case.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:52 01 Aug 2008

The battery can be charged elsewhere, but not via the laptop which will not accept a direct feed from the charger either.

Is laptop working on mains?

DC socket problems?

woodchip 19:09 01 Aug 2008

Its not the charger thats faulty is it? check it with a multimeter

chub_tor 19:13 01 Aug 2008

The question I was about to ask before my internet connection went down again was similar to Fruitbat's. In your first post you said that "the battery can be charged elsewhere" so if you charge it and put it into the laptop does the laptop work?

Diemmess 19:37 01 Aug 2008

Fruit Bat /\0/\ now also added in my thanks.

Slip of pen "can be charged elsewhere" I only guessed that bit, but it is an honest local repair shop and they at least have tried the obvious.

The socket to receive the charger lead is not circuit board mounted, but connected by twin leads from the socket to the mobo which is presumably where the fault lies.
The ends of these leads show a correct voltage.

Maybe a safety diode gone open circuit, but not having seen for myself I imagine it will be a minute part of a very miniaturised board and very difficult replace even if the faulty component can be found.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:21 01 Aug 2008

Try

An ink rubber and use on the battery terminals, will help to make sure they make good contact

have a read click here

sunny staines 20:30 01 Aug 2008

just replaced mainslead/battery charger for the wifes laptop just over a year old and outside warranty cost £89.99 for replacement from sony style web site. Cannot understand what makes it so expensive.

chub_tor 20:33 01 Aug 2008

As far as I know all laptops will work with or without the battery inserted, so this means that plugging in the mains cable does two things. 1.It charges the battery and 2. It produces an internal dc to power the laptop motherboard. That way you can run the machine either on battery only, mains only or both.

In your case it seems that something has happened on the motherboard to prevent it from getting power to both it and its charging circuit for the battery. You may well be right that it is a diode or other component that has gone faulty. But it begs the issue that if the battery can be charged externally and then put into the machine, will the laptop power up?

If this is so then it may be possible to find a way to charge the battery externally via the terminals that normally connect it to the motherboard. A good electronics engineer can help with that - possibly worth a punt if you don't want to take your motherboard out and hunt for open circuit tracks or components.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Nokia 8 vs Galaxy S8

Best new design books 2017: From vintage infographics to the the psychology of type

iMac 21.5-inch (2017) review

Nokia 8 : design, caractéristiques techniques, date de sortie