vaio fz21s fault...

reuben4 20:52 09 Sep 2009

Hi, I unfortunatly own the above said laptop, its latest issue is after being shut down via holding the power key (screen froze on webpage)it now powers up hd spins and fan works all for around 10 sec then shuts off immediately. it then pauses for 5 sec then switches itself back on (well nearly) it does the above again!, but there is no "read" sound from the drive and also there is no activity on screen through out. Have tried recovery disc which spins up then stops and also f8 which also does nothing, battery is charged and mains unit work. It would be most appreciated if anyone has any ideas, im no tech but if just involves taking a known faulty bit out and replacing then all would be gd!! thanks in advance

Geeksy 21:20 09 Sep 2009

If I was you I would take the hard drive out from the back and see if it boots into dos.

To take the hard drive,

On the underneath of the laptop there will be a cover with 2 circle on and a few screws in.
Take the screws out and the hard drive will be under the cover.
The drive will pull out with abit of force, then boot the laptop and if it is ok it will do the POST check.

These pictures may help you click here

Let us know how it goes.

Adam

reuben4 21:43 09 Sep 2009

#2 thanks for that, have just tried starting with hd out can just hear the rom check for a disc and then it just remains idle.
to add to #1, the screen did used to turn a darker black upon start up before booting which it no longer does and it does not always switch itself off it just sits idle with the hd spinning. 6 months ago it had a new main board, and before that new usb board so i obviously got the friday machine!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?