Vaio in distress-please help

SonnyB 21:12 08 Dec 2006

I have a Vaio laptop with 512mb of ram installed. However when I turned it on today it was only 'seeing' 256mb so I opened the bottom to check the memory module fitment. I took one module out and clicked it back into place, all seemed fine but then the laptop would not turn on at all!
Power is reaching it as it momentarily clicks and the power light comes on but then it shuts down with nothing appearing onscreen. I did not touch anything else , I just checked one of the modules. Any ideas please?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:37 08 Dec 2006

Remove and refit both modules, retry.

SonnyB 21:50 08 Dec 2006

I have tried precisely this, I tried both modules in both slots, nothing. The power tries to come on but then it shuts down. What else could it be?

Technotiger 21:53 08 Dec 2006

Hi, what else could it be - possibly faulty Power Supply or Mains Adapter. Or dud battery!

SonnyB 22:01 08 Dec 2006

The power light is on, it is connected to the mains. I know it has power because the dvd drive tray opens and closes. Suggestions anyone please?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:06 08 Dec 2006

Try on mains with battery removed.

ed-0 22:12 08 Dec 2006

Have the white tabs on the end of the ram modules snapped into place, just check to make sure.

Also see if the laptop has an external VGA output. If it has, connect it to a monitor. Lets see if it loads windows under a blank screen.

SonnyB 22:24 08 Dec 2006

I have tried that too! I am at a loss, really do not know what to try next.

Technotiger 22:38 08 Dec 2006

Just because the drive tray opens does not mean that the Power Supply is ok - can you try another Power Supply? If another one gives the same results, then at least that would be one possibility eliminated.

SonnyB 05:56 09 Dec 2006

I do not have another to try, but I am really not sure this is the problem as I can hear the insides turning and whirring, for a few seconds anyway. What else could it be?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017