Vaio CD problem

quillwills 16:55 02 Feb 2007

Has any one any ideas. My Sony Vaio laptop(XP) has a problem with the CD\DVD player. It will not recognise CD's etc in general BUT WILL recognise the Sony startup discs supplied with the computer. I've run chkdsk. Windows explorer shows the F drive but will not recognise CD's and the system status for the drivers is OK
Help!!??

surfmonkey #:@}© 17:04 02 Feb 2007

got to device manager uninstall your driver for the drive reboot laptop let windows renistall device and drivers when booted up should work

quillwills 19:52 02 Feb 2007

Thanks for the suggestion - I've uninstalled and let Wiondows reinstall the drivers but no joy. When I put any CD\DVD the light comes on but it just seeks for info. Any other ideas anyone

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:55 02 Feb 2007

click here
Download XP_CD-DVD-Fix.zip and save this file to your hard drive. Navigate to where you saved it and double click the file to extract the contents. Locate the EXE file you extracted and double click it. A confirmation dialog will appear when the script is done. You may need to reboot for the change to take effect.
This utility is only intended for Windows® XP. You may need Administrator level access to use this utility. If you do not have Administrator level access, the program will say it is finished, but will not have made any changes.

or
Run regedit and navigate to registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}.
Highlight it and in the right pane, find the Upperfilters and Lowerfilters values.
Highlight each one in turn, right click and delete them.
Close regedit and restart the computer.
If in doubt make a restore point before making changes.

quillwills 15:05 07 Feb 2007

Even Sony are puzzled. My CD/DVD writer will not recognise Cd's. IT WILL recognise DVD's. Ive reinstalled the drivers,installed all updates including a Firmware update, done the Registry patch, reinstalled Windows and the software bundle. My laptop is a Vaio VGN-A217M. Any one got any fresh ideas. It is such a puzzle - why can it read DVD's but not CD's which I assume should be easier to read???

postie24 15:50 07 Feb 2007

Might be a laser problem.The cd laser has probably become weak,leaving the dvd laser working fine

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Interview: Camille Walala on her giant 3D installation inspired by childhood funfair visits

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Où regarder le British Open 2017 ?