V Lookup in Excel

oo7juk 15:38 16 Mar 2006

Hi,

I have tried to update an excel workbook, the v lookup page. Unfortunately when I input the new details in the workbook it does not trigger the additions that I've made. Is there anyway I can edit the original table to accept changes.

Many thanks.

VoG II 15:44 16 Mar 2006

You need to edit the VLOOKUP formula to refer to the whole of the data that you want to lookup from.

oo7juk 15:57 16 Mar 2006

Tried to do that VoG but couldn't see anything like a1 to c10 then edit to read a1 to c12.

The following are taken from the spreadsheet:

=VLOOKUP(F1334,gvw,4)

=LOOKUP(F1334,'domestic route tonnages.xls'!Tare)

Thanks.

VoG II 16:07 16 Mar 2006

I am assuming that gvw and Tare are named ranges - thus the first formula is looking up the value in F1334 in the 4th column of the range gvw.

You will need to change the named range. Insert > Name > Define, click on gvw and change what is in the Refers to box to the range that you want to lookup from.

Your second formula seems to be missing the third parameter:

=VLOOKUP(parameter1, parameter2, parameter3, parameter4)

parameter1 = value to lookup

parameter2 = range to look in

parameter 3 = column number in the range to lookup

parameter4 (optional) = True to find the nearest match or False to find an exact match.

oo7juk 14:02 17 Mar 2006

VoG,

Have changed the named range but still isn't doing what I want. For your information I didn't create this spreadsheet so I don't know if that would cause any problems and I've never created a spreadsheet with the look up function.

Many thanks,

VoG II 19:24 18 Mar 2006

Without knowing something about how the spreadsheet is structured, it really isn't possible to advise further, oo7juk.

Did it work before you added stuff to the spreadsheet? Did you make a backup copy before changing the file?

If it isn't top secret or commercially sensitive I can take a look at the file - click my yellow envelope to send me an e-mail if you wish to do this.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?