utilities for laptop performance

crespo 00:52 29 Jul 2006

Hey all! This is Crespo calling. I would like some advice as to the best pc performance/tweaking utilities to keep my laptop in optimum condition. I buy quite a few of the computer mags & have a plethora of free dvd's with said tools e.g. Ashampoo Winoptimizer, Winboost, Crashdoctor etc. Can anyone out there recommend a decent tool for my purpose? I'm a newbie & all these options just confuse me!As always any help will be v. appreciated. Cheers. C.

GANDALF <|:-)> 05:58 29 Jul 2006

Ccleaner from click here (in the setting-windows, make sure you tick 'hotfix uninstallers'.). Regseeker from click here These two togehter will sort out all your computer and they are free! Ther is no point in going OTT and you shouldn't need anything else.

G

gel 07:19 29 Jul 2006

Hi
How do Ccleaner and Regseeker compare with ad aware and spy bot ?
Cheers
gel

Sethhaniel 07:28 29 Jul 2006

clean broken shortcuts and parts of programs left behind when uninstalled - fix registry errors--------

ad aware and spy bot -

remove the said adware and spyware that are put on our computers

so two different kettles off fish ;)

GANDALF <|:-)> 08:11 29 Jul 2006

All you need are the two cleaners above to keep your computer free of clutter, AVG or Avast for virus protection, windows defender for real-time 'malware' protection and spybot or Adaware as a backup. All of these are free.

With the money saved buy an external hard disk for backup purposes and this will be of much more use than fannying about with loads of 'protection'.

G

gel 15:58 29 Jul 2006

Hi Ccleaner very good thanks GANDALF<l:-)>.
Is Windows Defender compatible with Zone Alarm?
gel

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:12 29 Jul 2006

Is Windows Defender compatible with Zone Alarm?

Yes just set the allow permission when ZA asks.

woodchip 16:20 29 Jul 2006

Any software tools are not going to make your Laptop run any Faster. If you check the Hard Drive Speed you will most likely find it only runs at 4200rpm and drive light is running most of the time and startup will be slow. I overcame that by Replacing my 30Gb 4200 Hitachi drive with a 60Gb 7200rpm Hitachi this as made the computer run a lot faster

Greengage 10:50 30 Jul 2006

I've always thought, probably erroneously, that the 4200rpm on laptops helped avoid any heat problems and the like. I did not realise that such larger speedier drives existed for laptops - have you experienced any problems, woodchip? Could you let me know where you bought it as I'm very interested in replacing mine.

~#@@#~ 12:42 30 Jul 2006

The hitachi 7200 rpm with 8MB cache is very fast
click here

woodchip 19:07 30 Jul 2006

This is cheap for a 100Gb new 7200rpm click here
Cheaper than I paid click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Adobe shows still-in-development tools, including automatically colourising black-and-white photos

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?