using xbox wireless bridge with desktop pc

jam_ez 21:58 26 Jul 2007

I have an xbox 360 with an official microsoft wireless bridge to connect to xbox live through my netgear router elsewhere in the house.

i have recently purchased a desktop pc without a wireless network card. Is it possible to use the xbox wireless bridge with my desktop pc therefor enabling me to use the internet.

so far i have plugged it into a usb port on the machine and windows vista recognises it and all, trys to search for drivers then cant find any. Is there a driver /piece of software i need to install in order for this to work? with a pc, or do i need to buy a pc wireless network card?

thanks

James

ambra4 06:29 27 Jul 2007

Xbox 360 to Computer For Internet Connect Sharing

Connect the appropriate wireless network adapter to the console.

On the Xbox, a Wi-Fi adapter that connects to the Ethernet port (sometimes also called a wireless network bridge) must be used.

On the Xbox 360, a Wi-Fi adapter that connects to a USB port may alternatively be used.

Turn on the Xbox console and navigate to the wireless settings screen.

On the Xbox, the menu path is "Settings -> Network Settings -> Advanced -> Wireless -> Settings"

On the Xbox 360, the menu path is "System -> Network Settings -> Edit Settings."

Set the SSID (network name) on the Xbox to match that of the wireless router.

If your wireless router has enabled SSID broadcast, the SSID name should appear pre-selected on the Xbox display.

Otherwise, select the "Specify Unlisted Network" option and enter the SSID there.

Specify "Infrastructure" as the Network Mode. Infrastructure is the mode used by wireless routers.

Set the Security Type to match that of the wireless router.

If the wireless router uses WEP encryption, set up this option on the Xbox or Xbox 360.

If the wireless router uses WPA encryption, set up this same option on the Xbox 360.

Using the same encryption key as on the router because the Xbox does not support WPA encryption

It cannot connect to a wireless router with WPA enabled; you must disable WPA encryption on the router to use it with an Xbox.

Save your settings and verify the network is functional.

On the Xbox, the Wireless Status screen will display whether a connection has successfully been made with the wireless router.

The Connect Status screen on Xbox will display whether a connection has successfully been made through the Internet to Xbox Live.

On the Xbox 360, use the "Test Xbox Live Connection" option instead.

Tips:

Even when your wireless connection between the Xbox and the router is working perfectly, you may still experience difficulty connecting to Xbox Live.

These issues can be caused by the quality of your Internet connection or the firewall and Network Address Translation (NAT) settings of your wireless router.

Additional troubleshooting may be required in these areas to achieve reliable Xbox Live connections.

What You Need:

Active Xbox Live subscription (to access services)

jam_ez 13:19 27 Jul 2007

Not quite it

I am already able to access my home network and xboxlive on my xbox through the wireless bridge connected to the back of it via usb.

What i would like to know is, am i able to take this wirless bridge out of the back of the xbox and plug it into a usb on my desktop pc so i am then able to use the internet from that macine. (my desktop doesnot have a wireless card you see)

The problem i need solving is: my desktop is too far away from my main router downstairs to be plugged into either net port. can i use my xbox wireless bridge to bridge between my router and my desktop pc?

windows seems to want to use the bridge when i plug it into my pc ub, but then says it cant find the drivers i need to use it.. i need to know where to find these drivers that will enable use with a pc.

thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone