Using a wireless router as an adapter

Staz 11:49 19 Mar 2007

I saw on the gadget show that it is possible to use a router in place of a wireless adapter so you can get a far better range and signal quality.

How is this done? TIA

wee eddie 13:16 19 Mar 2007

There is also the possibility of extending the aerial. Just attach a couple of meters of wire to the aerial, straight up.

terryf 13:19 19 Mar 2007

wee eddie, you might be better off if you suggested connecting a couple of metres of wire :-) suspending gas or electric meters on the aerial might be a bit dodgy and any way where would you get them?
Sorry to be a nit-picking old g*t.

wee eddie 13:34 19 Mar 2007

and not using ones brain!

Les 13:43 19 Mar 2007

Staz: I think w.e is right - it would have been a booster. At least that is what I have read when browsing the net.

Thanks for a laugh terryf and wee eddie

Staz 14:00 19 Mar 2007

It was a router just like you have in your home. He had to power it with a bike battery.

Does noone know how it was done?

I can find power antennas but how to I plug them into my computer? They have coaxial connectors

wee eddie 14:11 19 Mar 2007

Before you buy anything.

You can make your current aerial more effective by getting 8 foot of wire. Wrapping one end around the Router's aerial and fixing the other end to the wall with a drawing pin or some blue tack.

If you want to be fancy you can use Co-ax but most folk don't have any of that in their tool box.

wee eddie 14:17 19 Mar 2007

If you want to be fancy you can use 2 wires and split the top to a "T" shape.

It looks fancy and you can tell your mates that you've installed a "di-pole" aerial. It's not really, but it does almost as good a job. To optimise Transmission/Reception > Rotate the horizontal part.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:25 19 Mar 2007

click here

DIY wifi hotspot from the gadget show.

Staz 15:29 19 Mar 2007

The others thanks for your help but sometimes maybe you should answer the question being asked.

wee eddie 16:24 19 Mar 2007

Maybe, just maybe.

You should consider the wording of your question!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from Petya?

Microsoft Surface Studio – the artist's hands-on review

Original iPhone review

Comment mettre à jour Kodi ?