Using Windows Update Downloader - any tips?

onthelimit1 08:34 02 Feb 2015

I've been asked frequently to reinstall windows following bad crashes, dead HDDs etc. It's always been a pain to download all the updates afterwards. The above bit of free software was discovered via Google.

I have run the prog, and downloaded the appropriate updates. I'm unsure where to go now. Should I just save those files to a disk? If so, how do I get them to transfer to the next reinstall? The website (here) does not explain that.

Thanks

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 09:52 02 Feb 2015

Its not for adding updates to a machine not connected to the internet.

Its for adding whichever updates you wish to a windows installer + drivers using nlite , then burn the resulting iso file to DVD.

Boot the affected PC with the DVD and it will install windows drivers and updates of your choice completely unattended (go off to the pub for an hour or two). Ideal for PC repairers that are doing fresh installs , they can be getting on with something else during the install process.

onthelimit1 10:51 02 Feb 2015

Ah, OK. So it's only for use via slipstreaming. Doesn't help with PCs that have a restore partition - pity!

onthelimit1 15:29 02 Feb 2015

For info, found another prog, WSUS, which allows all the updates for any operating system to be burnt to a disk (not a very intuitive process, but got there in the end). When this disk is inserted into a booted up machine, automatically opens an .exe file which has just installed all the updates for me.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

ManvsMachine win UK's only Gold Design Cannes Lions award

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?