Using Windows 7 Home Premium and updates

spuds 12:24 30 Sep 2013
Answered

Having to use a new computer with Windows 7 Home Premium this morning, that's been in hibernation for some time. I commenced to 'bring the computer' up to date with all the requested updates.

Not knowing much about Windows 7 Home Premium, i found that when typing out another Tech Helproom request, the computer automatically started to download 'configured windows updates' without my acceptance.

Having a number of problems going on this morning/afternoon, I thought a quick request here, would provide some results on how to stop automatic updates, if at all possible with Windows 7.

When time permits, I will have a look at a few tutorial video's for a learning curve with Windows 7 Home Premium.

Any help much appreciated.

Aitchbee 12:35 30 Sep 2013

Hello spuds.

I have just acquired a 'windows 7 ultimate' computer [last week] and have been 'doing' a lot of updating!

Having read about the potential pitfalls when upgrading from IE9 to IE10, I was able to do a system restore so that IE9 was back working again.

PS. Microsoft have issued a blocking 'fix' which one can download and install if you do not want IE10 to keep appearing in the 'important updates' page.

rdave13 12:37 30 Sep 2013

Have a look in all programs, windows update then settings.

spuds 13:27 30 Sep 2013

Thanks guys for the responses.

I follow them through later.

spuds 13:59 30 Sep 2013
Answer

Hopefully done and dusted, with update to notify first. Having downloaded quite a number of updates this morning, there still appears to be 2 criticals that requiring downloading. One downloaded instantly, the other is taking its time!.

Aitchbee - I am using Firefox and Chrome on this machine. But will certainly look up the Internet Explorer remarks. Thanks.

Eventually I hope to get around to see a few YouTubes on Windows 7?.

Will tick resolved. Thanks again everyone.

Woolwell 14:09 30 Sep 2013

I use IE10 without any problems on W7 and I suspect that any pitfalls, if they existed, have been resolved.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best Black Friday Deals 2017

Black Friday Deals for Designers & Artists: Adobe, Apple, Corel Painter, Microsoft Surface, Wacom &e…

Best Black Friday Apple Deals 2017

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires