Using Windows 7 with Canon Printer wireless

loopyloo 18:59 01 Oct 2010

I have two Canon printers. Pixma 1000 and 4000. My desktop runs Windows XP and laptop Windows 7. I have set the printers to share on the network my deksop prints ok because it's Windows XP installed, but the problem is that they won't print with the Windows 7 on my laptop. It has found the printers ok on my home network but it says I have to install additional drivers for it too work for Windows 7. Do I install the additional drivers on the main desktop with the other drivers or install them on my laptop? Will these two printers work with |Windows 7?

mgmcc 19:20 01 Oct 2010

You need to install the "Windows 7" drivers for your printers in the Laptop. These should be available to download from Canon's website. Be sure to get the correct 32-bit or 64-bit drivers depending on which version of Windows 7 the Laptop is running.

loopyloo 15:20 03 Oct 2010

I download from Canon but still can't print. It keeps saying there are no drivers installed. Do I have to connect the printer to the laptop and reinstall? Don't forget I am using this on a network. Destop will print ok because it runs XP.

mgmcc 07:49 04 Oct 2010

Install the printer in the Laptop as though it is going to be used normally connected directly to the Laptop. Once that has been done and it prints OK, reconnect it to the desktop PC. Make sure it is set as "shared" in the PC. In the Laptop, run the Add Printer wizard and install it as a "network printer". You should then have it installed twice in the Laptop - as a Local printer and as a Network printer - and should be able to print over the network when the PC is running and printer is switched on.

loopyloo 15:57 04 Oct 2010

My other problem is that I can see the printer on the laptop and desktop through network but they are named differently. The one installed on desktop says Canon Pixma 1000 but it is installed on the laptop as Canon Inkjet Pixma 1000 I have looked for help on the internet and it says I have to edit the inf file in notepad and make sure that the two names match. Unfortunately I don't know how to do this and where to look can someone help me please.

mgmcc 19:58 04 Oct 2010

I cannot see any reason why the names should make any difference. If you have the necessary drivers installed in the Windows 7 Laptop, you just need to install the printer attached to the desktop PC as a "network" printer using the Add Printer wizard, regardless of the name used.

What problem are you actually having when you follow this procedure?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?