using web cam as CCTV?

kimisam 01:12 11 Oct 2006

Hi
Can anyone help me with turning my pc with web cams into a cctv secuity system watching inside and outside of my house please.
I would like to have a web cam in some of the rooms to watch inside and with two web cams to monitor outside of our house (front and back), if place them on the window sill looking out, is that possible? and I would like to record the footage into my HD too.
can anyone help?
many thanks

Stuartli 08:33 11 Oct 2006

It can be done - Creative includes security type software with some (or perhaps all) webcams, but this is usually only for one webcam.

Examples of the software available includes:

click here

click here

click here

Many more but all seem similar to the Creative version.

ArrGee 08:37 11 Oct 2006

Yes, you can support multiple webcams, however they need to be from different manufacturers so that the drivers are completely different.

click here for further information.

As for recording, this will also depend on the supporting software provided by each individual camera. Alternatively, if you have (as an example) 4 cams on screen at the same time, you could use a screen capture application to record all 4 at the same time, e.g; HyperCam
click here

kimisam 00:34 12 Oct 2006

Hi Guys,
thanks for your responds
cheers

Koochy 00:48 12 Oct 2006

Bookmarked thanks

Koochy

AndySD 05:02 12 Oct 2006

Please remember that recording ANY public areas outside of you house falls under the data protection act 1999 and subsequent legalisation. It is sensible to check on your individual position to this act before recording outsie your property if it includes any public areas.

kimisam 01:07 17 Oct 2006

Hi AndySD,
thanks for your input, I only interested in recording within my own properties as we have been burgled recently and the police is not going to waste their time to investigate this kind of crime as they have been told not to by politicians!
thanks

AndySD 07:57 17 Oct 2006

Hi kimisam
That I understand, just be carefull not to record people walking past your property.

Andy

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?