using a video card for vga capture.

xianoa 21:30 26 Aug 2007

i have two nvidia cards, the one i use for my monitor is a geforce 660 sl, the one i wanted to use for video capture is a geforce4 mx440.

what i was wondering is whether or not its possible for me to record somehow using my mx440, help?

woodchip 21:35 26 Aug 2007

Only if it is a Capture Card, Normal VGA is no good

xianoa 21:36 26 Aug 2007

well is it not possible to use the video in function?

holme 22:18 26 Aug 2007

I'm confused. AFAIK graphics cards don't have a video IN function.

There's an S-video socket on the mx440 but that's for video OUT.

By "video capture", do you mean digitising capturing video from a camcorder or VCR?

xianoa 22:49 26 Aug 2007

wha ti remember is a cousin doing it a while ago [not hte same video cards]. it is to record from vga, my xbox360, to make game guides.

holme 23:00 26 Aug 2007

My mistake folks, I misunderstood what you were trying to do. Sorry if my posting at 22:18 confused the issue. :-(

xianoa 23:01 26 Aug 2007

so is it possible to do it with the mx440? or would i have to buy a specific card ?

xianoa 23:41 26 Aug 2007

is there any vga capture devices?

holme 09:19 27 Aug 2007

I sense we're /all/ confusing each other here...

For avoidance of said confusion, please could you answer my earlier query:

-- By "video capture", do you mean capturing/digitising video from a camcorder or VCR? -- (A yes/no answer would assist).

I think it's your comment "... record from vga" which is throwing people. Please could you expand on what that means; we've certainly never heard the term, or "game guides". TIA.

xianoa 15:15 27 Aug 2007

i mean recording live feed from a vga output.

im using a vga cable for the xbox360, i wanted high definition as oppose to standard scart.

i have stuff for digitizing feed from camera's and vcr's, but thats not what i wanted.

in short, no. VGA, the plug your monitor will use on a computer.

by game guide i meant a video guide to a game.

holme 15:30 27 Aug 2007

OK, it's a terminology problem. Your use of "video capture" threw us.

It seems you are looking at "screencast", which is a digital recording of a computer screen output.

We have little experience of the topic but it looks like you need something like this click here which should give you the high-res recording. HTH.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?