Using USB2 with Win 98

K-D-S 14:34 10 Feb 2003

I would like to purchase an external CD writer. I use Windows 98SE but I have been told by my company's IT dept that USB2 drivers don't work properly with Windows 98 - "You need Windows 2000 or XP...", so I would "...only be able to use the CD writer at USB1 speed". They say they learned this from experience, and when they looked into it they found that USB2 drivers for Win98 are still being worked on. I am a bit sceptical as I have never heard any mention of such a problem before. Is this really the case or is it more likely (as I suspect) that they just had a problem with a particular device?

©®@$ђ 14:41 10 Feb 2003

usb2 works with 98, think of how many motherboards that have usb2,a nd i know most new systems have windows xp installed, but there are still people building systems with windows 98 and the latest technology

the drivers should be provided with the motherboard or device

€dstow 14:45 10 Feb 2003

If you buy a USB2 PCI card you should get a drivers disk to enable USB2 to function with W98SE but I'm not certain about the original W98.

I got one for an old 98 machine I used to have

€d

Sir Radfordin™ 14:45 10 Feb 2003

I am guessing that since this is a USB drive you are going to use it on a laptop. If so does the laptop support USB2.0 speed? If its old enough to have Win98 on it then the ports are only going to be USB1 speed and so regardless of the drivers you are not going to be able to get it running at USB2 speed as you don't have hardware that is compatable.

If not a laptop then is there a good reason for not going for an internal IDE drive?

Is firewire an option for you?

K-D-S 14:52 10 Feb 2003

Thanks for all the responses. Sir Radfordin - the external device is to be swapped between PCs in an office as the need arises (mainly for temporary storage of digital photos). The issue I discussed with our IT dept was actually installing USB2 ports on Win 98SE computers - at which point I was told it would be a waste of time...

Sir Radfordin™ 14:59 10 Feb 2003

Sounds like a case of IT Dept can't be bothered to do the work so making up excuses to get rid of you.

I expect you could get at least 3 IDE drives for the same price which is a much better option - people don't walk off with those!

Sir Radfordin™ 15:01 10 Feb 2003

click here

Microsoft has released the official USB 2.0 driver for Windows XP and Windows 2000. The version is 5.1.2600. The software is available on-line at Windows Update website. (If you don't have a USB 2.0 card installed in your system, Windows Update won't list the USB 2.0 driver as an update.)

The software company is still considering USB 2.0 support for Windows ME, but it already has decided not to bring USB 2.0 to Windows 98 and Windows 98 SE. If you have Windows 98, you will have to rely on 3rd party USB 2.0 support from USB card manufacturer.

K-D-S 15:17 10 Feb 2003

Thanks again Sir Rad. Your last response sounds almost word for word what the IT dept said - except they didn't say it was Microsoft drivers they had in mind. I'll get back to the IT dept now. It may be that they only like installing officially approved MS drivers.
As for your previous comment about IDE drives - I know what you are saying, in fact our IT dept said the same, but the fact is that lately they have been installing cheap PCs which don't have space for additional drives...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone