using the update option with my xp disc to repair the system, any possible issues?

theDarkness 13:45 27 Apr 2009

I am using the update option on my windows disc to repair xp, which has been resetting with a 'serious error' message, despite a good hd and no viruses. Most likely either a codec or drive error, as it seems to do it when browsing folders on disc most often. My system was also stalling when trying to view video folder thumbnails, so i found updating windows in this manner may help. I cannot not find any other way of fixing my problem.
I am wondering if any installed programs (particulary video and image related, as i am in graphic design) will stop working as a result of lost registry settings if i use this update option of installing over the top of xp, and how likely it may solve my reset issue?

thanks for any suggestions or info, if possible

Stuartli 14:28 27 Apr 2009

Try typing:

sfc /scannow

first (note the space) from the Run box (Start>Run).

You will probably need your XP disk handy.

ChkDisk is another alternative (My Computer>highlight your hard drive>right click>Properties>Tools tab>Error checking. You will have to Reboot for ChkDisk to run.

If not successul, an XP Repair may be needed: you won't lose programs, applications, utilities, configuration etc, but still best to do a backup first.

If you do do a Repair, ensure that you select Repair and NOT Recovery Console (you have to select Install at least once, perhaps twice(?), before reaching the Repair option).

theDarkness 14:36 27 Apr 2009

i tried scannow, but it couldnt find any problems. I have up to date virus software too, and that couldnt find anything either. I will guess the xp repair does not alter registry settings for anything installed, but if thats whats causing the serious error resets, and is linked to my thumbnails freezing the system, then im probably stuck?

theDarkness 14:59 27 Apr 2009

Ok ive just tried xp repair option from my xp disc, everything was kept intact. Ive switched thumbnails back on, and on some videos, explorer is still giving up with the 'appcompat' error. I dont know if its related to the 'serious error' reset earlier, but i may have no choice but to reinstall the entire system now. Perhaps if its a codec issue i could solve it by installing video codec packs?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:05 27 Apr 2009
  PO79 15:06 27 Apr 2009

Try installing this click here before a complete XP reinstall.

theDarkness 15:52 27 Apr 2009

thanks every1 for the info. fruitbat probably getting fed up of me stating the same problems month after month, lol. I have a poor memory so need to check up on old posts more often! Ill try installing the latest klite pack if i have further problems. I have just uninstalled xvid and reinstalled the latest version, and thumbnails now show ok. If i have any further prob or the unexpected serious error reset happens again in the next few wks ill try and add it onto this thread to prevent any confusion! Could a serious error reset really be related to a badly installed video codec? I wonder...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?