Using Two Routers

Commander Straker 17:41 05 Apr 2007

Hi team. Had to move my BT home Hub to living room for BT vision which left my desktop having to become wireless rather than ethernet connected. Cannot get Wireless adaptor to obtain an ip address (despite couple of long calls to BT Helpdesk). Can I use my old Voyager router to connect the desktop with ethernet again to a phone socket ? Tried it but could get no Broadband on Hub or Router. Thanks

setecio 22:32 05 Apr 2007

Yes, but you would have to disconnect the hub from the phone line (or power off) when the other is on as you can only use 1 at a time. And power off the voyager when finished using it.

What is your experience of vision so far - how long did it take to get activated and what can you actually receive/watch now ?

Commander Straker 15:13 06 Apr 2007

Thanks I guessed you couldnt really use two routers at once. Stuck now as The Hub is fully working and a laptop can connect wirelessly. Just my desktop using Voyager 1055 Wireless Adapter cant get an ip address even with strong signal and two hours with the Indian helpdesk. It will still work Ethernet to the Hub but I cant keep disconnecting it and moving it between rooms !!

Early days with Vision box but so far imoressed. Freeview set up was fine and have rented a couple of BBC Comedy programmes which worked fine. Quite a good choice of films available too......cheaper than a Video shop. Not tried the HD recording yet.

setecio 16:31 06 Apr 2007

Have you tried disabling the wifi security in the router for 5 minutes, just to check if it is the security causing the problem. Also check no MAC filtering is blocking the desktop.

You could buy a 30m ethernet cable, so at least you have a way of connecting up until you solve the wireless problem.

Commander Straker 11:30 07 Apr 2007

Isnt it always the simple things in the end ? It was clear after another session with BT Broadband Helpline (they phoned back and were really helpful by the way)that eveything was as it should be so it must be the Adapter. Nipped out and bought a Belkin one and hey presto ! Full internet access restored ! Thanks for taking the time to help me out.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017