using serial port with ir device

Crookie 00:11 22 Oct 2006

I am trying to upload some blood sugar readings from my blood sampler to my computer for analysis. I am using a IRmate 210 to do this and this uses the serial 9pin port on the back of my computer (legacy stuff I know) but the ir device does not "fire up" when connected.I have used the App PORTMON, but this just says that it cannot access or read the COM1 port and recomends checking if another prog is using the COM1 port. Nothing seems to be so doing!
Can anyone suggest a methodology of getting this anachronism to function, please?
Thanks

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:53 22 Oct 2006

What operating system?

check the port in device manager for exclamation marks and driver erors.

Crookie 19:03 22 Oct 2006

Thanks for replying Fruit Bat/\0/\.

I'm using Win XP SP2, with all updates applied.
I did try the device manager but that says all COM ports are functioning normally. Perhaps I should add that I did apply the IR drivers from Windows also. Perhaps I should also add that the bios seemes to be enabling both COM 1 & 2 normally!
Any other ideas, please?

Ashrich 22:09 22 Oct 2006

What speed is the Com port using ,Serial IR requires a com poet speed of 115,200 to communicate .

Ashley

Ashrich 22:12 22 Oct 2006

or even a Com Port speed !

Crookie 04:22 23 Oct 2006

It seems that I have solved the problem by disabling the IR in device manager. The item is called "Serial Cable using IrDA Protocol". Why this should be I have no idea, but it works. Thanks all for your interest and help

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone