using a scanner

funnybone 20:40 16 Jun 2004

I have a lexmark x1150 printer/scanner. Now I know this is really stupid, but I have no idea what a scanner does and how to get it working. Please could someone take me through the process.
thanks

dewskit 21:11 16 Jun 2004

Basically a scanner is a means of getting images into a computer.
It may be used with Optical Character Recognition software to read a scanned page into a document which can then be manipulated in a Word Processor on the computer.
It may also be used as a photocopier, by placing an image on the scanner bed, and printing it out using the printer attached to your computer.

So far as actually setting it up is concerend - was there not a manual supplied with the equipment? If so, there is usually a step-by-step procedure which is easy to follow. Do FOLLOW THE SEQUENCE IT TELLS YOU! if you try and do things in the wrong order it can be a total disaster!

Good luck

Tony

dewskit 21:17 16 Jun 2004

Follow up:

Have a look at the Lexmark website (click here) where under the FAQs it says that the Manual is on the set-up disks supplied:

"Where can I get an instruction manual for my printer?

For the more recent printers, the manual is actually installed onto your PC from the installation disks, so can be accessed directly. Alternatively, the majority of the manual are available to download from the website. These can be obtained as followed :

- Select Technical Support
- Select your printer model
- This will produce a page Technical Support scroll to the bottom of the page and click on publications
- This will provide you with PDF files to download or print off."

Hope this helps

Tony

wee eddie 21:53 16 Jun 2004

but

Instead of putting the image onto a piece of paper, it converts it into a digital code file that your computer can read.

This can then be manipulated in many ways.

Your Lexmark will probably have come with some software to help you do this. The software is usually very basic, but when you have mastered it you can usually upgrade to a more complex version of the program at a reduced price.

Djohn 21:58 16 Jun 2004

click here Read this excellent little guide on an introduction to a scanner.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?