Using SATA II with SATA

sil_ver 00:21 08 Jun 2007

My Asrock Mobo has 2 SATA and 1 SATA II connectors. At the moment only the SATA II is unused. I'm toying with the idea of buying a SATA DVD writer. So my question is can I plug the DVD writer into the SATA II connection or alternatively could I swap it with one of the two HDDs (storage)? I think I read somewhere that there is a jumper involved when using HDDs

ashdav 01:17 08 Jun 2007

You can plug the sata dvd drive into the unused sata socket.
The only thing you have to remember is that the socket numbered sata 1 will be the device that the computer will try to boot from so you need to have the hardrive containing the operating system connected to this.
Sata drives do not have "jumpers" as such as IDE drives do but there may be a jumper to select the mode they work in ie sata I or sata II.
Set this to match the speed of the connection on the motherboard socket.

sil_ver 11:10 08 Jun 2007

Thanks ashdav. No problem with booting as I still use IDE drive to boot from the reason being, on a previous mobo I had problems using the SATA connection as a boot drive (I kept getting drive failure messages for both SATA drives when there was actually no problem)

sil_ver 16:44 14 Jun 2007

Well, I took the plunge and bought a SATA DVD-Writer, plugged it in to the SATA2 connection. It was picked up by XP and runs with no problems.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?