Using R?W DVD's

jack 10:19 15 Nov 2010

One of my flock has installed Cd Burner XP Pro on her XP system and is attempting burn DVD R/W and is getting the 'No Disk' message.
I do not use R/W myself but I seem to recall in early experiments something called 'Packet Writing' is involved.
Could a lack of this be the reason why the 'No disk 'message is coming up or is there some other reason?

BRYNIT 10:43 15 Nov 2010

It may be a silly question but are they using a CD writer or a DVD/CD writer. If it is an old computer it may only have a CD writer, you cannot use DVD on a CD writer.

A DVD-R/W disk can be used the same as a DVD+/- disk, you only need a Packet Writing program if you want to drag and drop files onto the DVD-R/W disk from explorer.

jack 18:48 15 Nov 2010

That I did not check on - one assumes these thing - but of course not all makes up grade to the latest kit at the same time
Will check
Thank you
X7-250
Read the post -she did load third party software -

Cd Burner XP Pro
check it out

jack 08:53 16 Nov 2010

XP Home with V5.5 SP3 and is fitted with DVD/CD RW drive so all is in place there.
Any more thoughts on this NO DISK in DRIVE problem?

eedcam 09:10 16 Nov 2010

Is it only DVD rw's the drive cant see ie does the drive see dvd+/- R's.

BRYNIT 10:32 16 Nov 2010

How old is it.
Does it write to DVD-/+ disk.
Have you checked to see if a firmware update is available. I think some older drives required a firmware update to work.

Covergirl 12:23 16 Nov 2010

Is there such a thing as a drive which reads/writes CDs but only reads DVDs? Perhaps an older drive?

I was thinking it might say DVD RW/CD RW if it wrote both . . .

A longshot but worth a check - go into Control Panel, System, Device Manager and get the DVD drive model number - search on this on the internet see whether it's DVD ROM/CD RW.

Mine is a "jlms xj-hd166s" DVDROM/CDROM and it comes back with this: click here as one of the results.

GaT7 12:30 16 Nov 2010

"...is fitted with DVD/CD RW drive.."

That looks like a CD-RW & DVD combo (e.g. click here). It will read+write to CDs, but only read DVDs.

Covergirl, yes as above. G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?