Using a Router as Repeater

Nelmon2k 11:27 19 Mar 2006

Hi,
A long time ago I bought a USRobotics USR8054, I've used this for several years now but now due to occasional turn offs and great annoyance I decided to replace it with a DG834PN router.

This is working fine, however. I was wondering if it is possible for me to connect up my old router working as a repeater to boost the signal at the top of my house.

Is this physically possible? If it is, how would I go about setting it up?

Thanks in advance.

mgmcc 13:52 19 Mar 2006

I think the answer is basically "No".

Wireless routers incorporate a "Wireless Access Point" to which "Wireless Network Adapters" can connect. However, two Wireless Access Points (two routers) cannot talk directly to one another, which is what you would want if one was to be used as a repeater.

The second router could be connected by a length of ethernet cable to the first and used as an additional Wireless Access Point, but I suspect this may be defeating the purpose where you want to improve wireless connectivity without having to run a significant length of cable.

Nelmon2k 17:52 19 Mar 2006

Ok, thanks anyway :)

dms05 11:31 20 Mar 2006

mgmcc is quite right. However I have a similar problem and I've run the Ethernet cable from my Router (on the 3rd floor) to my downstairs ground floor and added an Access Point there. I now have 2 channels operating (6 and 11) and my laptops happily roam between the channels when moved and my desktops use the nearest AP. Obviously you have to use the same SSID and WEP on both the Router and the AP but it does work very well if you can route the cable. It really is plug'n'play. Worth the effort.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?