Using Psu outside of PC

User-2A1A8EED-B1B2-454F-8F199443AE648272 19:55 21 Jan 2007

I've got 2 old PSU's which I would like to use for powering some 12v cathode tubes and lighted fans all out of a old pc.How do I get the Psu's to start up and supply the voltage(12V).As I don't think a 12v plug transformer will be up to it.If succesfull I intend to use them in a disco case

sean-278262 19:59 21 Jan 2007

It would require an electrical hack of the power supply as it requires the motherboard to turn it on. As this sends the signal to things when the powerswitch is pressed.

woodchip 20:08 21 Jan 2007

You cannot power cathode Tubes with 12volts. it as to go through Line Output Transformer to up the power to about 27000 volts

woodchip 20:09 21 Jan 2007

Sounds very much like you are trying to kill your self.

They are 2 cold cathode tubes as used by moders they run off a 12v supply.I need a diagram on how to swich the psu's on or will a plug in transformer be powerfull enough.Messed with leccy before it gives you a good belt and you learn.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:30 21 Jan 2007

click here

a quick short across pins 14 on and 15 grnd
(13 / 14 in the link) will supply the signal to swich on the PSU.

you really need aload across a PSU to make it work properly.

Ta fruit bat,tried it but still not getting any power or fan running from Psu.

amonra 15:07 22 Jan 2007

I think it's a thin grey lead on the ATX plug-in lead, touch it to the side of the PSU (earth) and the PSU should start.
BUT ! unless you know what you're about, DONT MESS !

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:29 22 Jan 2007

Unplug the power cord from the power supply, short-out pins 14 and 15 on the power supply main power connector, and plug-in the power cord just long enough to see if the fan is working. This may not be the best thing to repeatedly do to an ATX power supply (it can damage it).

The ATX12V Power Supply Design Guide states that the power-on function should be normally done with TTL (transistor transistor logic) circuitry which pulls pin 14 low. I use a jumper cable with alligator clips at each end with partially stretched-out paper clips in each alligator clip (an old trick). Pull the power plug before removing the jumper.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone