Using Paragon Drive copy

sputnick 10:30 17 Jun 2008

I have copied my boot drive (160Gb drive) to a 250Gb drive but on completion it shows the drive size as 153Gb although it was formated as 250Gb.
In Drive copy it is shown as 153Gb and 83Gb unallocated.
Can I change it to get the full 250 as one partition.
If not how can I access the remaining 83 Gb??
If I got to my computer and right click and then properties it is only shown as 153Gb.

bjh 12:51 17 Jun 2008

I think there is a way round it, and I know what happened, but I may explain it badly.

You imaged a hard drive partition of 160. When you restored to the larger drive, my Paragon H D Suite 2008 offers the choice of make the partition, or make the drive (something like that). You chose partition, so it made as close a replica in size. If you'd chosen drive, it'd fill out the whole of the disk.

(I'm not sure if Drive Copy has as many options as the H D Manager, so it's all very well me saying this - you may not have that as an option)!

So, you are left with an unused portion (about 90Gb) on your new drive. I don't think Drive Copy is likely to have a "merge partitions" option, but some magazines have recently had copies of both Paragon and (? memory failure) that do.
If you can get one of these, it's an easy job to merge the two partitions and go back to one drive of 250Gb.
However, I'd claim back that 90Gb as a separate drive, and use it for data storage. Easily done in Windows.

Right click on My Compute icon on desktop, chose Manage... Choose Disk Management option towards bottom left.... There is a graphical representation of your HDD, with the 160Gb partition visible, and the remainder unformatted, and possibly unpartitioned. Right click on it, and you can format it, and gain the space.

Hope this helps. Tired, and full of hayfever, so may not be as precise as I'd like.

sputnick 13:29 17 Jun 2008

Thanks for that bjh

bjh 15:01 17 Jun 2008

I see that there is a full version of Paragon Hard Disk Manager on the coverdisk of the Rival mag Computer Shopper June 2008. It is a full version, and I have used it for some months in version 8.5 form - a must - have for tweakers and the like!

For a fiver, this'll sort your problem out (and allow you to create many more entertaining problems in the weeks to come, if you like/want to fiddle!).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Adobe shows still-in-development tools, including automatically colourising black-and-white photos

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?