using old hard drive (XP OEM) in new PC

frostysnowman 11:39 26 Mar 2008

Could anybody advise me please on the following.
My cousins PC (IQon) motherboard has blown and I offered to put her old hard drive in an old computer I had. However, I have read on google that if you have an OEM XP installed on the hard drive you cannot use it with a different motherboard unless you have the original XP installation CD. Her computer came with XP pre installed and has only a recovery partition on the hard drive. It did not come with any XP install CD. My cousin wants to keep her old XP installation and I was wondering if it is possible and legal to use another XP install CD from a different PC in order to do the repair installation of the old XP installation.
I have also read on Google that if you do not have an XP CD you can boot into safe mode and remove the old motherboard drivers. However, this method is if you can boot from the old motherboard before replacing with a new one. Since my cousins motherboard has blown I cannot do this, but was wondering if I could boot into safe mode on the new PC and remove the old motherboad drivers. If this is possible which drivers do you remove?
IS there any other way of installing the old hard drive in another PC?
Any advice appreciate.

MAJ 11:48 26 Mar 2008

An OEM version dies with the computer.

Miros 11:51 26 Mar 2008

I have an interest in this as I have a similar problem and would be interesting in the answer.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:22 26 Mar 2008

Drivers to disable BEFORE changing motherboard
click here

is possible and legal to use another XP install CD from a different PC in order to do the repair installation of the old XP installation

yes will work sometimes

Then when XP realizes that significant hardware changes have occurred,
You can phone MS explain the situation (motherboard and processor blown) and ask if they will reactivate.

frostysnowman 14:29 27 Mar 2008

Sorry if this sounds daft but have looked at my own Windows Home (OEM) CD which I hoped to use for my cousins PC for the repair installation (She did not receive any disc, just a recovery partitoin) and it says on it 'Not to Lend'. If I did still use this CD for my cousins PC is there any way that it could jeopardise my own XP installation on my PC. Thanks for any advice.

woodchip 15:50 27 Mar 2008

It will not activate even if you got it to run

frostysnowman 09:57 29 Mar 2008

Thanks for all your advice. Because of the OEM restrictions and the problems that the new motherboard could cause with the Chipset being completely different I am going to advise my cousin to obtain another Copy of XP.

woodchip 14:54 29 Mar 2008
  Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:01 29 Mar 2008

"If I did still use this CD for my cousins PC is there any way that it could jeopardise my own XP installation on my PC."

You can use it without problem as long as you use the
orignial number from the other PC.

If it requires activation, then phone MS and explain you have had to renew the motherboard and CPU and ask for it to be reactivated. The worst they can say is No, then you would need to purchase another OEM cd with license.

Try it you have nothing to lose.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?