Using NTL broadband over a network

Rogerfredo 16:06 25 Jan 2003

I have managed to get my network working at long last (2 computers running ME, one laptop running XP), but I cannot get either of the other computers (those not directly connected to the modem) to access the internet.
I have a Belkin 5 port switch, and the NTL modem is now connected by a second ethernet card.
I have seen lots of postings saying this can be done, but I cannot get it to work.
When i try to change settings from "automatic IP address" which most say is required,the system just wont work at all.

Rayuk 17:01 25 Jan 2003

Have you got a Firewall running if so turn thm off then redo network when everything back working turn firewall back on.

septic 17:30 25 Jan 2003

I have 4 computers on a home network, all of which access the internet.
When you set up your network with the network wizard, you should have asked about internet access, in which case, if you agreed it would have been written to the disk which you have to insert into each of your network pc's, which in turn should have been automatically updated.

This is related to setting up with xp and I'm not sure whether it applies to other windows versions

howard60 21:27 25 Jan 2003

this is done by the wizard but will not work if the xp internal firewall is set to on. once set up all pcs should be able to use the net. I have 2 pcs using ics and they are fine.

Rogerfredo 18:51 24 Nov 2003

My solution was to buy a Belkin router.
A cinch to connect, and works first time

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

There’s more to Finnish artist Tove Jansson than creating the Moomins

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder la Coupe du monde de rugby à XIII en direct ?