Using a Norton Ghost Image when upgrading HD

WightRob 16:49 07 Jan 2007

I am running Windows XP without SP2.
I want to upgrade my hard drive to a larger size without re-installing everything. The current master disk is Drive C. I have a copy of Norton Ghost so I installed the new HDD as a slave (Drive D)and copied C to D. I then removed the original drive C and set the new drive to master.
I checked the BIOS and confirmed that the boot sequence is set to Hard Disk.
When I boot up, I get the XP start screen (the blue one with the horizontal bars top and bottom). It then just hangs. I am not sure if the new hard drive will automatically be assigned the letter C as it is the only drive now. If not, could this be causing the problem?
Any advice?

WightRob 16:58 07 Jan 2007

Thought someone might ask that! Just realized that I forgot to say. It' Version 9.

sunny staines 18:00 07 Jan 2007

did you include copy over mbr & tick boot option ?

WightRob 08:10 08 Jan 2007

Yes, did that. I read through the help instructions first and am sure that I followed the correct procedure. The only thing I was not able to do was change the drive letter as this option was greyed out. In any cas I assume that as drive C was already allocated, this would have been unavailable.

jam500 09:12 08 Jan 2007

I have just upgraded my hard drive too. I used a free program, My new drive was appointed drive c automatically, Maybe try a free version and see if that changes the situation.

WightRob 11:57 08 Jan 2007

jam500,

Which program did you use? I have a couple of Paragon programs from recent PC Advisors. I think that I may be able t do a disk copy with one of them.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?