Using MySQL command prompt - Password??

gplatt2000 13:59 18 Jun 2004

Hi all. I have just finsished installing click here , and been fllowing these instructions click here to try and get started using mySQL.

Hoewver, I got to this stage -

Tighten Security
MySQL has good security controls, but the default installation is wide open. So, if you're doing a new installation, let's close things up before we go any further. Of course, change NewRootName and NewPassword, below, to something unique.

mysql> delete from user where Host='%';
mysql> delete from user where User=';
mysql> delete from db where Host='%';
mysql> update user set User='NewRootName', Password=password('NewPassword') where User='root';
mysql> flush privileges;

And followed those steps. I then closed cmommand prompt (using the X at the top right, now hopeing that there isnt a 'proper' way to exit command prompt, but realising that there probably is). I then opened up the mySQL Prompt again, and tried starting again using these steps:

C:\mysql\bin> mysql -u root mysql
Enter password: ...Your Password...

But am not entirely sure what to do. Now i have created a user and password following the steps earlier, how do I go about logging in? Which bits do I typed my user (say, 'dog') inplace of, and which do i type my password (say 'bone) in place of?

Thanks a lot in advance, and sorry if this is a silly mistake to make

gplatt2000 14:06 18 Jun 2004

OK I think I have now been VERY stupid....

Right, after what i said above, i decided that I would unistall teh developerside suite, and start again (as I was very desperate to get on and use it, and thought Id just go without a password for now).

Anyway, i follwed the instrcutions in th readme file, and complete these steps:

(1) Stop the Apache2 and MySQL services...

> NET STOP mySQL
> NET STOP Apache2

I then tried the next steps:

(2) Uninstall the Apache2 and MySQL services...

\www\mysql\bin> mysqld-max-nt --remove
\www\Apache2\bin> apache -k uninstall

but got an error message saying cannot detect '...' folder (or soemthing similar)

At this point i decided I'd be patient, and come on here to ask about how to use the apssword. And just now I have tried using the password as before, but now get a message saying 'ERROR 2003: Cannot connect to MySQL server on 'localhost'

I presume this is to dow ith the steps I tried doing to unistall teh program, stopping the Apace/MySQL services? How do I go about getting them running again?

Again, sorry to be wasting your time due to my stupity, kinda embaressed now, but nay help would be great (if I deserve it lol)

Cheers

PurplePenny 17:05 18 Jun 2004

I think that all you have to do is type NET START etc. from the command line.

Penny

PurplePenny 17:08 18 Jun 2004

You're not being stupid. You are, like me, a trainee geek and we are allowed to post panic messages on here :-)

Penny

gplatt2000 17:10 18 Jun 2004

Thanks a lot Penny, I was actually about to just put a post saying I've just worked it out - i say 'worked it out', but really its not hard to realise that the opposite of 'NET STOP' is 'NET START' , but it still took me until now from this morning lol.

But thanks a lot, and ive also maaged to work out how I have to type password/username in order to access the client - i was missing out '-p'.

Thanks again

gplatt2000 19:05 18 Jun 2004

And lol, I like that term , 'Trainee Geek', and without you it ouwldnt be possible. thanks again everyone

Gaz 25 06:25 29 Jun 2004

ugh - running a homegrown webserver.

One word of warning, make sure you are secure. 1 firewall aint enough for these kids out there.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?