Using more than 1 router

dazza30 23:03 23 Aug 2007

Hello all im new here.

Ive recently bought my son his first pc.
With the pc i bought a Belkin wireless g network adaptor, and its useless. The signal strength is allways up and down eventhough its within 12 feet of the router.

What i want to know is would it be possible to replace the wireless network adaptor with another router? is it possible for one router to connect to another?

2neat 23:09 23 Aug 2007

if only 12 feet from router why not run ethernet cable?
If not, is the wireless nw adaptor usb?
Better to fit wireless card into pc if possible

dazza30 23:13 23 Aug 2007

Iknow its easier to use cable, but because ive got a spare router id like to explore that option first.

Thanks for your reply.

What i want to know is would it be possible to replace the wireless network adaptor with another router? is it possible for one router to connect to another?

Forum Editor 23:13 23 Aug 2007

if you can't get a decent signal from 12 feet away, and it's unlikely to be the Belkin adapter, unless it's faulty.

2neat's suggestion makes sense - if your son's computer is only 12 feet from the router, why don't you connect his machine to it via an ethernet cable - he'll get a perfect connection that way.

dazza30 23:18 23 Aug 2007

I understand the cable is and instant fix.
But why spend the money if i can get the same solution using the spare router.

Also what could effect a routers signal?. Could a glass mirror with a metal back do it?. Its close to the router.

User-312386 23:22 23 Aug 2007

You dont say what you are using to connect the router with? Is it a USB adaptor or a PCI card?

How are you connecting to the router? Via windows utility or the adaptors utility?

woodchip 23:23 23 Aug 2007

I use a 3Com Laptop is very good range Review.....click here is the Second from top click here

dazza30 23:24 23 Aug 2007

Sorry its a usb adaptor, if i connected the router it would be with ethernet cable.

dazza30 23:25 23 Aug 2007

The wireless adaptor connects through its own software.

User-312386 23:25 23 Aug 2007

Now do you use the windows utility or the adaptors utility?

User-312386 23:27 23 Aug 2007

OK

Right click on the adaptors icon in the right hand side and select "use windows utilty"

Now when the box pops up,double click your connection, enter the password and your done. I hope your using encryption

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?