Using Linux as a server

User-A52EB27E-1414-447B-8EF5F0A09BA9F560 23:18 29 Dec 2004

I have a PC with Linux (Red Hat) on it, which I am trying to set up as a fileserver. It is accessing the internal network OK (and getting an IP address from the DHCP on the router), and accessing the internet through the router. I can ping it from my Windows PC (all running XP - 2 Home and 2 Professional). At one point I could see the server on the network as well, but not access it. At the moment it is not showing up in network neighbourhood. Can someone give me an idiots guide to setting it up so that I can acess it, please?

LastChip 00:24 30 Dec 2004

Samba is the application that will help you and has a (virtual) manual as thick as a telephone directory. Effectively, it creates an environment which Windows can understand.

If you do a search in Redhat itself, no doubt there will be information specific to that distro, and a search on the Internet, will reveal hundreds of offerings on how to set it up.

It's an extremely powerful program of industrial grade and I suspect you will only scratch the surface, but that's all that is needed.

woodchip 00:28 30 Dec 2004

That's what the Web runs on not Windows

Thanks, LastChip. I have Samba installed (and running, I think), and have printed off reams of the help file - all to no avail.....

LastChip 17:57 30 Dec 2004

Samba is a program that allows Windows machines to share files with Linux machines and visa-versa.

I think you're thinking of Apache, which is a server program that much of the web now runs on.

Timbo37.

For what it's worth, keep in mind, much of Linux is designed around the concept that by default, things are turned off. This is one of the aspects that makes Linux so secure, but the downside is, you have to learn what needs to be turned on to achieve your objective. This may not only apply to Samba, but possibly you may need to "mount" the Windows drives (within Linux) to be able to see them.

It all takes a lot of learning, but the end result is a powerful system that will stand up to the very best available.

Thanks LastChip. I have now got the server showing on the network, but I still cannot access it. I think now we are purely down to setting up access rights.

woodchip 15:26 31 Dec 2004

You are correct My mind is going

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?