Using LCD TV as monitor for Laptop

David2169 20:42 30 Jan 2007

Hi
Now this may not be the right place for this question but have to start somewhere. I have a Compaq pc, which is networked with a compaq laptop and i have video files which are shared between the two. I also have a 32inch Phillips LCD flat screen tv, which i did use as monitor for the pc some time ago.
Question is, can i use the LCD TV as a montor for the laptop and view the videos on it. Reason is they would be better in wide screen than on the small laptop screen.
I think i can do this but am not sure of what connectors/cables i need, nor how to view the resultant pc image on the TV. Right now i have analog tv, also a panasonic DVD recorder with HD and built in freeview on ext 1, another freeview box on ext 2, and so i think that leaves only the AV channel free. I get very confused about tuning in channels and such,though i have say that the TV has 99 of them so surely i can the laptop set up on one of that lot.
Anyone who can advise me in plain English and step by step idiots guide stands a very good chance of becoming a beneficiary in my will, if theres anything left.
Honesty compels me to say i am trying to ensure there isnt anything left though.
Replies gratefuly recieved
David R

ed-0 21:06 30 Jan 2007

if the compaq laptop has a VGA out, it should mine has and if the 32inch Phillips LCD flat screen tv has a VGA connecter on the rear.

Then yes. Just get a VGA extention lead. Connect the cable to the laptop and then to the TV. Switch the TV on to the AV channel or scan the AV channels ( my philips 32" has 4 ).

The desktop screen will appear.

Right click the laptops desktop and pick properties > settings > pick TV screen number 2. Alter the sliding settings to get the best result.
click here

A compaq / HP laptop running media centre on a 55" TFT at a resolution of 1920 X 1080 click here

ed-0 21:13 30 Jan 2007

Some thing like click here or click here make sure they are male to male. click here

David2169 22:16 30 Jan 2007

Hi Ed
May i say a big thanks for the info, unfortunately i just spent the last of any possible inheritence i may have left. But at least i can now watch those vids big screen.
many thanks to you
David R

ed-0 22:23 30 Jan 2007

Damm, was looking forward to getting a few bob ;-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?