using laptop on wireless network

myval 15:16 20 Dec 2007

i am shure there's a simple solution to this,can anyone tell me how to set up my wireless network so that i can surf the net without switching on my desktop computer.
many thanks.

recap 15:24 20 Dec 2007

If you have a wireless router, run the wireless networking wizard from the desktop PC - using a usb memory stick preferably - and you should have your laptop up and running within 10 minutes.

dms05 11:38 21 Dec 2007

myval - we need to know you're current set up. Do you use a USB modem to connect via your desktop or are you using a Router (and does it have WiFi capability). If it's the latter then you don't need to share your internet connection and any PC attached by LAN or WiFi will be able to access the network independently. If you are using a USB modem then you may well be stuck with internet sharing and need the main PC connected so you can share.

myval 12:31 21 Dec 2007

dms05 thanks for the reply, sorry for lack of info. Current setup is XP sp2 on desktop, BB ntl cable modem connected to wireless router then to desktop ethernet card with RJ45 cable, XP sp2 laptop using wireless lan adapter,hope this is enough info, Cheer's

retep888 13:35 21 Dec 2007

Can you post the make and model no. of your wireless router please?

In your first post,you sounded like you can only surf the net with your laptop when the desktop computer is on,can you clarify that?

myval 21:00 21 Dec 2007

Make is TP-Link model no. WR541G. Yes that's correct retep888 I would like to be able to surf the net on laptop when desktop is switched off if poss. Many thjanks for any info on this subject.

myval 21:02 21 Dec 2007

Make is TP-Link model no. WR541G. Yes that's correct retep888 I would like to be able to surf the net on laptop when desktop is switched off if poss. Many thanks for any info on this subject.

postie24 09:24 23 Dec 2007

1st make sure the wireless card is switched on in laptop.
Click start,in the run box type services.msc
Scoll down to wireless zero and make sure its running and set to auto.
Then right click the wireless icon in system tray and choose view available networks,click on your network,enter the encryption key,which you should have already set up in the router config page,and thats it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?