using a laptop as a desktop

alanmondey 11:44 07 Apr 2011

Is it feasible to use a laptop as a desktop?

My old desktop PC is nearing the end of its life (I can't even put more RAM on it because the RAM chips are such an old design, they're almost impossible to find).

Ideally, I'd like both a laptop and a tower-style PC, but can only afford one, so I'll probably buy a laptop.

But if I use it as I would a desktop, I'll be stuck with a screen whose height I can't adjust, and a small keyboard.

So I'd like to use the laptop as the 'tower bit', and add a monitor and a full-size keyboard - the laptop itself would be tucked away on a shelf in the computer workstation.

Would this be a good idea? To make things look neat, it would mean running the laptop while closed, and I've heard this might make it overheat.

And in general, is it a good idea to use a laptop as a component in a desktop setup like this? Can they stand up to this type of use?

HondaMan 11:53 07 Apr 2011

I used an Acer 8935G as a desktop replacement for a while. Virtually full sized keyboard, 18.4 widescreen and two 500 GB HDDs but it was not as good as a "proper" desktop.

They can take the use of a desktop, but I found the ergonomics let the idea down badly

robin_x 12:06 07 Apr 2011

A shelf is not a good idea for cooling reasons and access to on/off, ports and CD/DVD.

Is the desk large enough to have laptop and external key board and external monitor?

Is adjustable cooler stand any good?
click here

Can you not buy a new motherboard/processor/RAM bundle for the Tower and buy a cheap laptop/netbook?

Just ideas, good luck.

Taff™ 12:51 07 Apr 2011

I have run this setup for years without any problems and it will work as you say. There are no overheating problems when the lid of a laptop is closed.

I have a laptop which I use when I visit clients as normal however for prolonged periods, even a laptop is a strain on the eyes and the keyboard and general ergonomics are poor. (As HondaMan points out)

A wireless full size keyboard and mouse plus a large external monitor positioned on my desk connected to the laptop which sits, in my case, on an adjacent shelf. You may need access to the laptop with lid in position to switch to the external monitor but then I simply close the lid and attach my USB printer and USB transceiver for the wireless KB & Mouse.

The only drawback to setting this up is the cost. On top of the cost of the laptop you can add on roughly £35 for a wireless KB & Mouse and depending on the size of Monitor say £120 for a decent 20" widescreen.

If you bought a slimline tower system you can achieve the same result for about £430 but you can`t take that out with you!

woodchip 15:05 07 Apr 2011

As far as I know you cannot run a Laptop Closed as the Screen Switch will turn it off when you close it.
Only way would be to deactivate the Switch, But the Screen would be on all the time wasting Power

tullie 15:08 07 Apr 2011

Im sure that you can change what happens when you close the lid.

Taff™ 16:27 07 Apr 2011

Sorry mate - you`re totally wrong on that one. You can do it in XP, Vista or Windows 7 very easily. As you can change the default action for the power button, the start menu icon power button and any other power settings regarding time lapses before the computer turns off a monitor, hard disk etc.

woodchip 16:37 07 Apr 2011

correct, I just checked Power Settings XP Home. Should be set to do nothing when Lid is closed. That means that a CD should keep playing with headphones or Speakers. to use it for music

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?