Using an internal zip drive externally?

heidelberg 11:21 02 May 2003

Does anyone know if it is possible to remove an internal zip drive and use it externally?

The reason I ask is that I've just installed a second hard drive into the computer and there is no space for the zip drive. I now have two hard drives, a CR/RW and a DVD R drive.

DieSse 11:52 02 May 2003

You could look for an external box for IDE drives, with a USB interface - or you could get a card with extra IDE ports on. Examples

click here

click here

the card solution is likely to be a bit cheaper.

Switcher 12:01 02 May 2003

When you say no space do you mean no slot to fit it in or do you mean no IDE channel available or is it both.

alan_blue 22:18 02 May 2003

I don't know about a zip drive but i ran an internal cdrw sittng on top of my computer until i bought a new case with more slots.

mrdsgs 23:06 02 May 2003

sounds like he already has 4 ide devices.

you only need a floppy drive bay for a zip drive or you can get very cheap drive bay converters for cd drive bays so IF you have a spare visiblke bay in your case you need a PCI IDE expansion card (Promise are the best ones) if not you need an external case with USB to IDE conversion.

Cheaper still buy a second hand parallel port zip drive for £15.00 or usb version for £35.00 on ebay and sell your internal zip drive for up to £30.00 if it is the 100mb version.

mrdsgs

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017