Using a HDD as a slave in a new computer

Rusty 11:40 24 Apr 2007

I am fed up with the slowness of my computer, and am contemplating buying another. Can I use my current C drive as a slave in the new machine and deleting the XP program, thereby keeping all the programs I currently have and use? Needless to say I do not have the installation disks for all of them, and do not want to lose them. What about the Registry? Thats a closed book to me!

bjh 11:43 24 Apr 2007

Unfortunately, no!. The programs as installed will almost all not work. You CAN put the old HDD in the new computer, and "repair" windows, but this is rarely very successful.

Pamy 13:30 24 Apr 2007

go to START> ALL Programs> ACCESSORIES> SYSTEM TOOLS> FILES AND SETTINGS TRANSFERE WIZARD.

Does this help?

Pamy 13:32 24 Apr 2007

Sorry, see you want your programs as well so have to agrea with bjh

dth 16:13 24 Apr 2007

You can't do what you would like but it is good idea nevertheless to use your current p/c h/d drive in your new p/c as a slave. You can then use this as a back-up for your data. So if your new P/C h/d ever fails you have a duplicate of your stuff on the second drive.

skidzy 17:59 24 Apr 2007

First thought here should be:

If you buy a new pc and install this drive as slave,you may well void the warranty on the new pc.

Though i would suggest a usb caddy for the drive and format this and use for backups.

Your programs will have to be reloaded.

There is another possibility,cloning using Acronis.Though you would have to wipe the new pc's drive...this i would think is a bit severe.

Rusty 10:47 26 Apr 2007

Thank you to those who replied to my problem. At least I know where I stand now!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse's new logo: the trainer brand looks to its heritage for a fresh identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?