Using Files & Folders

Ex plorer 16:08 10 Apr 2006

Hi How do I get to use files or folders from one PC to another, they all have one workgroup Name and each PC has a different name.
I have 3 PCs connected to a 4 port modem, and the switch uses one of the ports for the other 3 PCs.
They all connect to the net OK

Ex

ade.h 16:17 10 Apr 2006

Tell us what you have done so far - such as running the NSW on each client, enabling file and printer sharing, etc - and then we'll be able to tell you what you haven't done....

Ex plorer 16:52 10 Apr 2006

Well thats about as far as I have got, I have set up file sharing on the PCs and put most of the files I want into the folders, or
Is file sharing for just one PC so that it can be used by others users.

ade.h 17:08 10 Apr 2006

File sharing must be enabled on all clients, typically with a common workgroup name (something other than the default is best, but remember to enter it every time you run the wizard, as it defaults).

Have you yet entered the paths of your shares from PC A into the My Network Places folder on PCs B and C, and visa versa? You can do this by browsing from within the Add a Network Place Wizard, though I prefer to add the actual paths.

Don't forget to configure your client firewalls by placing the local adapters in the trusted zone, otherwise file sharing will usually not function.

Ex plorer 21:46 10 Apr 2006

Hi still hear and finding my way round,
I am as far as seeing the names in the my Network Places folder.
In Add a Network Place Wizard I am confused
I have the original names that I gave the PCs and workgroup names
I changed them for something easy to remember and i now have both sets of names.

ade.h 22:27 10 Apr 2006

"Workgroup names" plural??

Should only have one. If you have more than one, delete all workgroups and begin again.

The Browse tree on page 3 of the Add Network Place wizard should have:
Entire Network
Microsoft Windows Network
Your Workgroup
The workgroup's clients

The clients will ONLY be viewable if a) they are switched on with no-one logged in b) all client firewalls have the required permissions set in the trusted zone for all local network adapters and c) the computer browser service is running on all clients. There are potentially other conditions as well, but those are the three most obvious that spring to mind right now.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?