Using fdisk to Forma Hard Drive

gplatt2000 12:45 03 May 2003

I have used fdisk to format one of my hard drives. I used this command:

format c:

The drive has been called C. However, I have a 2nd hard drive I want to install, and I presume it will need a different name? (e.g. F). To do this is it simply set the drive as master (I'll take the other drive out just in case I acidentally format that one) and use this command in fdisk:

format f:

?
Thanks a lot in advance, Gavin.

Legolas 12:49 03 May 2003

If you set the new drive as master it will automatically become the c: drive but as it will be the only drive there that will not matter. The drive letters will be set when you install both drives as master and slave.

gplatt2000 15:56 03 May 2003

So I can use format c: at command prompt, and then once I put the other drive back in all will be well? Thanks a lot, Gavin.

Kitz E Kat 16:53 03 May 2003

I might be easier to leave in the C drive and add the second drive as a slave, set the jumpers on the drive for slave setting, the label on the drive will show you how to do this. In DOS mode FDISK will show you that you have a C: drive and an additional drive, FDISK that drive IE partition the drive whatever way you want, then exit FDISK and format your new drive, Which if you only set one partition will be D: ( your CD drive will now be E: etc)just type FORMAT D:

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?