Using Favourites locks computer

spuds 00:19 15 Dec 2004

Over the last couple of days, when I am browsing the web and wish to use Favourites, I find that clicking the favourites in the header bar opens the favourites column, which then remains blank, this then causes the computer to freeze and lock-up.I can only unlock the computer by using ctrl+alt+delete which then closes all internet activity. Using IE6 with XP Home.

Help and advice appreciated, in solving problem.

Diodorus Siculus 07:40 15 Dec 2004

Don't know about that one... but have you tried the system file checker

start

run

sfc /scannow

Or a repair of IE: click here

Either may help.

Sethhaniel 08:28 15 Dec 2004

Windows Explorer
C:\Doucments & Settings\<user name>\Favourites
which should list the same favourites as IE
see iff there is anything 'hijacking' or corrupting their ;)

spuds 19:36 15 Dec 2004

Will check out above suggestions later.The poor computer is doing an internet disconnect on a regular basis fron start-up this evening. Looks like some work required!.

spuds 23:41 15 Dec 2004

Tried the sfc/scannow route, and keep getting warning 'Windows cannot find scf/scannow. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again. To search for a file,click the start button,and then click Search'

Same applies to repair of IE 'Cannot find scannow'.

SANTOS7 23:49 15 Dec 2004

Spuds there needs to be a space between sfc and/
sfc/scannow= wrong
sfc /scannow=right

spuds 19:23 18 Dec 2004

Just removed a great number of unused programmes from the computer, and things seem back to normal.

Following the scannow route, it would appear as though there are problems via DLL's, so in the new year I am going to have a complete reformat and a possible system upgrade.

Thanks everyone for your contributions.

Laser157 19:28 18 Dec 2004

If you have further problems you might look at my thread from some time back. The suggested solution worked for me.

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?