Using a D-Link DSL-G604T with an NTL set-top box

david625 19:23 06 Nov 2005

This probably makes little sense and is certainly not the easiest way to go about things, but I have an NTL broadband connection (via set-top box, i.e. something like a cable modem) and a D-Link DSL-G604T wireless ADSL router -- a wierd combination I know -- and want to get them to talk to one another.

The DSL router has an ADSL uplink port and of course expects to connect to a telephone socket, but the NTL box only provides an Ethernet broadband connection. So is there a way to persuade the DSL router to work with the NTL box? I.e. to get the DSL router to ignore its ADSL uplink and simply act like a dumb switch and / or wireless access point, using one of its 4 Ethernet ports to talk to the NTL box.

At the moment, my laptop can happily talk to the router and I can access the admin page, but I can't ping any addresses on the internet and I don't see how to tell the router to route everything to one of the Ethernet ports instead of the ADSL uplink.

Or must I accept that square pegs really don't go into round holes, and invest in something like the D-Link DI-624+?

Thanks in advance for any advice
David

mgmcc 19:33 06 Nov 2005

<<< So is there a way to persuade the DSL router to work with the NTL box? >>>

You have a combined "Router/ADSL Modem" which cannot be used in conjunction with Cable Broadband - period!

You need a "stand-alone" router that connects to a separate modem by ethernet cable.

mgmcc 19:37 06 Nov 2005

<<< something like the D-Link DI-624+ >>>

Be careful with that reference as there appear to be several different models, both with and without built-in ADSL Modem!

david625 20:46 06 Nov 2005

Thanks for the bad news ;-)

Regards
David

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?