Using Clipper dBase under Windows - help....

DocP 21:51 13 Feb 2005

I maintain some legacy programs written under dBase and compiled with Clipper.

I have a couple of problems when running under some versions of Windows – especially XP

Normally the key-code for the left arrow key is identical to Ctrl-S> - both, when tested with a utitlity, are correctly shown as being ASC 19

However, when running in a virtual DOS environment, while the left-arrow key works fine, the Ctrl-S> is ignored. I assume that Windows is intercepting the code for some other purpose.

Using the Properties of the desktop shortcut to the DOS environment, I have tried various combinations of Compatibility (for Windows) and disabling the Windows Shortcut keys, but no still solution is found.

Secondly: the programs frequently use the higher ASCII codes to build boxes on-screen. These generally work fine, but on occasion – and I can find no reason for why this only happens sometimes – the characters get mis-interpreted and produce other graphics characters.

Would be grateful if anyone knows a solution – especially to the key-code issue - or even just a pointer to someone who might know.

Many thanks

Dr Philip Ramage

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best Black Friday Deals 2017

Black Friday Deals for Designers & Artists: Adobe, Apple, Corel Painter, Microsoft Surface, Wacom &e…

Best Black Friday Apple Deals 2017

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires