Using BT Voyager 210 To Access Internet.

randompunk 02:41 18 Apr 2007

Hi Everyone,

I was at my mum's the other day and she is with AOL and has Voyager 105 I think. Her internet connect at around 7.2Mbps, I am with Demon and have a Speedtouch 330 and only connect at a max of 4.2Mbps. We live 5 mins from each other and don't see why mine is slower. So had a look on the net and as my modem is quite dated, it has a max speed it runs at. So I bought a BT Voyager 210 (unlocked) off ebay and got it today. When I install it from the cd, it installs the usb drivers but does not install it as a modem like my Speedtouch 330, instead it installs as a network device where I am unable to access the internet. I have tried many things without any joy so I wondered if anyone could help me install it as my modem, or tell me if I am not able to do this. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Cheers, Lee

randompunk 03:09 18 Apr 2007

Managed to get on the internet via ethernet connection and downloaded an album at around 350kB/s which is faster than my previous connection via my Speedtouch 330 modem. I want to find out the speed my internet connection is in 'Mbps' if possible how can I do this? I am just looking for the fastest internet connection without changing my isp. Anything ideas? Cheers, Lee

moorie- 04:28 18 Apr 2007

give this a try
click here

morris948 15:55 02 Aug 2007

I have the same issue as you, where i dont know how to get the 210 to identify itself as a modem.

The device works ok steady DSL light and USB light steady, but the PC's DSL status has 2 red arrows which indicates no device connected, how did you resolve this, and does anyone know how to connect this to replace the voyager 105 ADSL modem?.

is the 210 a router only? or a modem/router.

brundle 16:25 02 Aug 2007

Ditching the USB connection and using Ethernet is a good start.You can remove the software and access the modem set up from Internet Explorer. If the lights on the modem are steady you have a signal.

brundle 16:35 02 Aug 2007

It's modem & router

morris948 20:50 02 Aug 2007

I am not an expert at this networking stuff, so how do i go about accessing from IE if it does not connect to the internet, and if it's a modem and router, why is it not recognised.

brundle 21:52 02 Aug 2007

The 210 won't be `recognised` as such when used via an RJ45/Ethernet connection, your PC will just see it as a network gateway. You need to go into Internet Explorer,type into the address bar;
h--p://192.168.1.1/

Replace h--p with http.

I believe the login and password are `admin` in both cases. Enter your broadband login information and click Apply/OK, the Voyager should be able to access your current ADSL account.
I use one as a spare when I have to troubleshoot ADSL problems for friends & family.

skidzy 22:07 02 Aug 2007

Just for reference:

You may need a few tweaks to the ST330 to achieve the required speeds click here

morris948 22:15 02 Aug 2007

The 210 won't be `recognised` as such when used via an RJ45/Ethernet connection, your PC will just see it as a network gateway. You need to go into Internet Explorer,type into the address bar;
h--p://192.168.1.1/

Does this mean the 210 will only connect via the RJ45.
I only have the USB option because my PC motherboard does not have an ethernet connection, so this means i cannot use any other modem except the voyager 100 series, is this correct?

brundle 22:23 02 Aug 2007

I would recommend tracking down a PCI NIC - Maplin do one for £6. click here Not hard to fit.
If you are stuck with USB, the 210 software from the BT should enable you to access the 210 and use it as a modem. I have always gone for network connection in preference to USB - the latter is too much of a jack-of-all-trades solution for broadband in my opinion, when there is an established standard for networking already in place.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Is this the future of VR and AR?

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment regarder le Bureau des Légendes en ligne ?