Using Bcc in Outlook Express

Furkin 11:20 11 Sep 2007

Hi all,
I've recently needed to send the same message to several retailers requesting quotes. Obviously I didn't want them all to know to who else I had sent, so I put them in the Bcc box.
As I didn't get replies from most of them I called them - only to be told that they hadn't received the e-mail (via Bcc) !
I have now sent myself a test page addressed to 4/5 of my other addresses, via Bcc,,,,, but see that only the first address actually receives the message.
Is this the way that the Bcc system should work ? Only ONE address can be used at a time.
I assumed that like the Cc box, you could add as many as you like (within reason).
thanks

zant 11:32 11 Sep 2007

I use this feature quite often and todate had no problems.

I leave the To: line blank and put all the recipients in the Bcc: line. It has worked but wonder what other posters comments will be as I use this feature a lot and am always willing to learn.

johnnyrocker 11:39 11 Sep 2007

just ran it here using a couple of my mail addresses and all came ok, did you try from address book or type individual addresses?

johnny.

pj123 11:45 11 Sep 2007

I just tried and it all worked OK for me.

I usually put my own email address in the To: and all the rest in the Bcc:

If you are typing them in are you separating each name with a colon: ??

zant 11:48 11 Sep 2007

Try it with nothing in the To:

Furkin 13:59 11 Sep 2007

thanks guys,
I tried putting nothing in the To: box and 3 addresses in the BCC: box.
It wouldn't send at all (No recipient address).
I put my own address in the To: box, and 3 addresses in BCC: box.

I received 4 copies,,,,,, but in the headings they all showed From: ME,,,, but To: ME.
None of them appeared to be received by the other address's used,,,, could it be because they are on the same ISP ??

I have tried using commas, colons & semi's.
I type the addresses in freehand.

Furkin 19:22 11 Sep 2007

Thanks Marge, that's certainly true,,,, but,,, what do the recipients see ?
Do they also see who's in the 'TO' box ?

wee eddie 20:13 11 Sep 2007

If I thought that other businesses were being asked to quote for an item.

I would start by dividing my potential profit by the number of businesses I expected were being asked. If that potential profit fell below my cost of quoting I would bin the mail.

Address each request individually unless you are offering a minimum of £10,000 potential profit.

Furkin 22:50 11 Sep 2007

Thanks again marge,
If I don't put anything in the "To:" box, the message goes,,,, but I get the MAILER DAEMON e-mail saying:
"""213.40.2.235 failed after I sent the message.
Remote host said: 550-Syntax error in the headers: Rejected after DATA:
550-"@" or "." expected after "Undisclosed-Recipient":
550-failing address in "To:" header is: <Undisclosed-Recipient:;>
550-If you are using BCC make sure you have an address in the TO field
550-try putting your own address in the TO field then send again.
550 Tue, 11 Sep 2007 22:38:14 +0100 on host 213.40.2.11"""

Although I don't get the "Undisclosed recipient" bit, it is mentioned in the MAILER DAEMON message above.

In my case, it looks like I should put my own address in the "To:" box,,,, then list the recipients into the "Bcc:" box.
Then the recipients should (I think) only see my own address,,,,, which they will also see in their "From:" box anyway !

That'll do I s'pose.

thanks to you all

zant 08:23 12 Sep 2007

Have you tried a reinstall of your mail programme? Use an uninstaller that rids all the old prog out.

johnnyrocker 08:24 12 Sep 2007

and the solution was?

johnny.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017