Using Acronis Migrate Easy 7 to Replace Hard Disk

ame 14:12 25 Nov 2009

Anyone used this free trial software? I am trying to change a very small C: hard disk on an old Dell running XP with only 300Mb free space left on it for a larger one which I have already installed and formatted as a slave on the same cable as drive F: I have read the user guide but am still a bit confused about boot settings, if and when to change the jumpers on the new drive, and what to do once the system is copied in order to get the larger drive seen as the C:drive. I'll then dump the original small disk. Help very much appreciated.

howard64 14:27 25 Nov 2009

with the ide disks the master goes on the end of the ribbon cable with the slave in the centre one. Once acronis has finished switch off the pc and change the jumpers on the 2 drive. Make the new one master and connect to the end socket on the cable. Make the small old drive the slave and connect to the centre connection. Switch on and the new drive should now be seen as C with the old one as F. All should now work fine. Keep the old one as the slave for a while in case there is something that did not get copied.

ame 14:36 25 Nov 2009

Thanks howard64. What do I do about boot settings before/after copying? Will the new drive automatically boot up when I've changed it over without altering any settings? (Dreading that blank screen if I get this wrong - I don't have an XP installation disc.)

howard64 14:53 25 Nov 2009

once the disks are swapped over it should boot as before but with the new drive running. You should not have to change any settings other than the jumpers on the drives and position on the cable.

ame 15:04 25 Nov 2009

Thanks again, howard64. Will go for it tomorrow.

ame 14:51 26 Nov 2009

Just got my larger hard drive up and running using the very easy to use automatic settings in Migrate Easy. Followed above advice and all I had to do on restart with the new master disk in place was to go into the boot menu and set pc to boot from C: and - hey presto!
I highly recommend this 15 day free trial software. Thanks again howard64.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?