User Accounts in XP

geoff47 18:12 25 Aug 2007

At present I have two user accounts that I want to make into one.
I have tried to alter it but all I can see is an options delete and loose all emails etc. for the other account.
Can anyone tell me how I make one simple non log onable account ?
Thanks for any help

Taff™ 06:58 26 Aug 2007

This is not too difficult but but requires some patience. It cannot, to my knowledge, be done automatically. Just a few questions though. Do you have e-mails in both User Accounts and if so are you using Outlook Express as your e-mail client?

Transferring Data (Files & Folders) is relatively simple. Open Windows Explorer (Windows Key + E Key) and in the left hand pane select C:\Documents & Settings and the folder with your first username. Now go to Tools>Folder Options and on the View Tab select "Show Hidden Files..." and deselect the "Hide File Extensions of known Types"

Open another instance of Windows Explorer and as before navigate to your second User Account. Under each of the folders you should see the My Documents Folders. It is simple enough to copy one to the other and consolidate all under one user name.

Remember that you may also need to copy over an address book if you use OE, Favorites and possibly desktop icons, but post back with the answer to my first question and we`ll work from there.

geoff47 12:13 26 Aug 2007

Not as simple as just one closinging account then ?

I use Thunderbird while I think she uses only web mail.
Apologies, I have just asked her now about combining the desktops and she objects strongly....blooming teenagers.
Thanks for the reply....I shall work on her.
I am sure I can do it now with the clues you have given me.......if she agrees.....Teenagers who needs em ?

Taff™ 12:32 26 Aug 2007

I can understand that she would want her own personalised settings, just as you would prefer yours. What`s the problem with that? I can`t see any benefits of combining two user accounts together unless as I assumed, they were both yours.

If you both want to share documents they can be put into the shared documents folder under each user account and accessed from each.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone