USER ACCOUNT

Hetti 16:49 09 Jul 2010

I noticed today there is a user account named ASP.NET ON MY laptop, I dont know where it came from as Im the only person that ever uses the PC.
What is this and is it safe to delete it?
Thanks

rdave13 17:02 09 Jul 2010

click here
I just let it be.

Hetti 17:14 09 Jul 2010

rdave13
OK will do.......
thanks

birdface 17:26 09 Jul 2010

I would remove it it is not needed.
Personally myself I do not think Microsoft should be allowed to download it on to your computer.
Reformatted son in laws computer yesterday and when I started downloading windows Update I had to sign in after one lot of updates.
And that was it ASP.NET had opened a new user account on the computer.
Get rid or it will be wanting you to sign in every time you reboot the computer.

rdave13 17:35 09 Jul 2010

" Get rid or it will be wanting you to sign in every time you reboot the computer " ?

Hetti 07:01 10 Jul 2010

I just got last two messages,
I have not yet deleted this account but was not asked to sign in this morning when I started my laptop?

birdface 07:52 10 Jul 2010

It usually opens the Welcome page with all user account Icons on it and you have to pick the one that you want it to open with.
Thats how it works on XP.
Like I said it is not needed so you have the option to remove or keep it.

birdface 08:08 10 Jul 2010

This is the type of problem that it produces.

[I'm having a similar problem as describe in your section regarding the asp.net account appearing in my "welcome" screen. My particular problem is that in the welcome screen, it request that I enter a password to access my own account. I have never set any password prior to this problem. Windows will not launch if I am not able to provide the right password. I have no idea what the password is. Please help. Thanks. ]

That was the one that that I got when it was first introduced.
You had to sign in with a password and I could not remember ever putting a password on the computer.
I was locked out of my computer for most of that day and more by luck than anything else I managed to bypass it in safe mode.
If it is not doing you any harm leave it but some day it may want you to sign in with a password and if you don't know it you will be locked out of your computer.

Hetti 08:27 10 Jul 2010

buteman thanks

I will remove it right now.

Thanks again

rdave13 12:51 10 Jul 2010

That's a new one for me I must say. Three machines running XP and all with this ASP.NET on them but does not show on log-in screen.
Strange!

rdave13 13:04 10 Jul 2010

PS same with Win 7.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?