Useful tip after cleaning the registry

Andsome 09:22 11 Jun 2005

I have found that after causing any deletions to the registry, such as using Crap Cleaner or RegScrub XP after removing a program, that System Restore WILL NOT USUALLY WORK. The moral is that you should create a restore point after using such programs. I have posted this warning on another forum, and several people have tried this out by using these programs and then trying System restore. In NO WAY would I suggest not using such programs, I find them very useful. Just be aware that System Restore will probably not work unless you create a new restore point.

Jackcoms 10:39 11 Jun 2005

Interesting point you make.

I regularly use CCleaner and RegSeeker and I've never had a problem with System Restore (famous last words).

I'm using XP SP2.

GANDALF <|:-)> 10:41 11 Jun 2005

Same here, never had a problem with system restore using Ccleaner and regseeker. In any case, after using both you should create a new restore point.

G

DieSse 11:19 11 Jun 2005

"never had a problem with System Restore"

I think Andsome is trying to say - you cannot do a Restore (ie it won't work), until a new restore point has been created. Not that the utility itself fails to work.

Sans le Sou 12:12 11 Jun 2005

I think you are right, been using CC and have been waiting a fortnight for system restore to make a SCP, made my own yesterday so I will see if it has reset itself.

VoG II 12:19 11 Jun 2005

No such problem here.

Jackcoms 12:39 11 Jun 2005

As a matter of interest, I used CCleaner and RegSeeker this morning and was completely finished with both by 10am.

System Restore created an automatic checkpoint at 11:38.

Andsome 12:44 11 Jun 2005

It appears to be a matter of luck as to when Windows makes it's own restore points. What I am pointing out is that I have found that such restore points do not work after deleting items from the registry with these programs. Therefore it is wise to immediately create a new restore point yourself.

CurlyWhirly 12:50 11 Jun 2005

Thanks for the tip.
I myself tried out what you said and the same thing happened to me i.e. system restore didn't work after running cr*p cleaner.
I have always thought that XP's system restore was a hit or miss affair and your post backs up that assumption.
Cheers.

VoG II 13:01 11 Jun 2005

I ran RegscrubXP earlier as part of my usual weekend housekeeping.

Just for the heck of it I've run System Restore to the System Checkpoint made at about 3 o'clock this morning. It restored perfectly.

leo49 13:04 11 Jun 2005

I've just run both Ccleaner and RegSeeker and it restored to last night's daily checkpoint.

So where's the problem?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Nokia 8 vs Galaxy S8

How artist Alex Yanes worked with his daughter on this bright 3D mural for Monument Valley 2

iMac 21.5-inch (2017) review

Comment regarder le lancement du Galaxy Note 8 en direct ?