Useful Programs for Solving Problems

Pesala 11:47 04 Mar 2003

All of these programs are regularly recommended by forum members. They will help to resolve many of the problems posted on this forum. I have only listed Freeware programs. No doubt other forum members will post their own favourites.

Kindly refrain from debating the relative merits of these programs, just post your preferred alternative, stating its merits. This thread could then become a really useful resource to forum visitors.

*** Disk Defragmenting ***

Diskeeper Lite click here

Disk-keeper Lite is a Freeware defragmentation program that will run in the background, and completes the task more quickly.

*** Graphics Viewing and Conversion ***

Irfan View click here

This tiny freeware graphics viewer on steroids does most common tasks better than bloated Photo-editors. Scan, crop, flip, rotate, convert, resize, recolour, and special effects. No paint, clone, or mask tools though.

Thumbs Plus (Contributed by 3tg) click here

Excellent for viewing all images on computer and cds. It also keeps a record of the images that you have viewed previously.

*** Hardware and System Information Tools ***

Aida click here

Belarc Advisor click here

SiSoft Sandra click here

*** File Compression ***

Zip Central click here

*** Font Tools ***

The Font Thing click here (Font Manager)

Babel Map click here (Unicode Charmap)

Truetype Explorer click here (Powerful Font Viewer)

*** Sound Recording and Editing ***

Audacity click here (Freeware sound-recorder, MP3 editor)

*** Alternative Browser ***

Opera click here

*** Free Office Suite ***

Open Office click here

*** Translator *** (Contributed by €dstow) click here

I know this used to be more or less a joke program but I've just been using it to translate some quite complex German to English and, whilst far from idiomatically perfect, it is really very good. A number of languages are covered inluding Korean, Russian, Japanese and Chinese.

doug 14:27 04 Mar 2003

^

pj123 15:40 04 Mar 2003

I speak German and have just tried translator. pretty good. my partner speaks french. we will have a go at that.

pete

Djohn 15:52 04 Mar 2003

pj123, So that is the reason I couldn't understand what you was saying, when you popped round for a cuppa! :o)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?