Use two routers from same BT point?

Marty1 12:38 11 Aug 2010

My desktop is a long way from the BT point but is connected to a BT Voyager 2091 ADSL router via the USB port. It also supplies wirelessly to two laptops in other parts of the house. The wireless element is very poor and makes the laptop use a chore. If I remove the router from the desktop and position it nearer the laptops, they work fine. My question therefore is, can I just buy another adsl router to provide broadband to the desktop, both connected to the same BT point, or are there contention issues?

Jollyjohn 14:08 11 Aug 2010

No two routers on the same BT point wont work.

Options include - position the router for the laptops and then use home plugs to run an ethernet connection to the desktop.

As above and run a long ethernet cable to the desktop.

Also you could connect a second router by ethernet to the first an play with the settings to provide an extended wireless network.

Taff™ 10:24 15 Aug 2010

Simplest way is to buy a USB Wireless dongle for the desktop and connect wirelessly to the router as the laptops do.

gengiscant 11:52 15 Aug 2010

There's me thinking that BT had the best wireless range.
Have a look here click here

Marty1 13:37 15 Aug 2010

Many thanks for all the info - I have decided to get a Wireless Access Point - hopefully this will sort it. There are still several positioning configurations I can use, so I found all your help extremely useful. Will mark this 'Resolved'.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?