Use of Landline 'phone through Laptop.

cqms 04:00 27 Jun 2007

Compiling family tree. Need to talk to and take notes from various people using landline,whilst using my laptop. I suffer from slight hearing defect and therefore need to use headphones and microphone.(Speakerphone not an option) BT Broadband connection is via house 'phone, using ZyXEL Modem - Prestige 600 series. My questions are:{1} Can connection be made through my laptop? {2} What(if any)additional equipment will I require. {3} If this connection is not possible -any suggestions?
cqms.

oldbeefer2 14:24 27 Jun 2007

You could use a headset which is landline compatible (probably the easiest way click here) Alternative is to use Skype or Sightspeed, but the other people you speak to will need computer with the same programme.

P1d 16:26 27 Jun 2007

Not sure about Sightspeed as I've never used it but you can call landlines using Skype click here for prices.

cqms 23:33 27 Jun 2007

From cqms
Thanks oldbeefer2 & P1d for your contributions
Looks like I will go for 'phone with headset socket as skype is also not an option

Sapins 20:28 28 Jun 2007

Why not try click here you make the call from the laptop or any computer and it is then transferred to your ordinary phone, the person you are calling does not need a computer, costs about 3p for an hours call, then you need to re-dial. Details on site.

I've been using it for quite a while, works very well.

cqms 01:37 29 Jun 2007

cqms
Thanks Sapins - but have decided to go with new
headset phone which is ideal for my purpose.
Thanks again to all.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: UAL Central Saint Martins

MacBook Pro 15-inch (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?